The all-new 2018 Honda Odyssey is a game-changer for families who need space, comfort and cutting-edge amenities by the dozens. Recently, the best-selling minivan of the past seven years, was recognized with the Cabin Tech of the Year award by CNET 2018 Roadshow Shift Awards. Clearly the redefined Odyssey with its family-friendly atmosphere and innovative features has valid reasons for the award.
The Honda Odyssey is the most popular minivan with the “under 35 segment” of consumers in today’s marketplace. More than 2.5 million Odysseys have been sold since 1994 and the minivan has accounted for some 30 percent of ALL Honda U.S. light truck sales since the first-generation model was introduced. Impressive stuff!
2018 Honda Odyssey Game Changers
Truthfully, the 2018 Honda Odyssey has so many cool features and awesome amenities that it’s really hard to know where to start in identifying all of my favorites. Here are a few:
- Sensational exterior! Distinct, deep lines and iconic Honda badging on the front grill make it stand out in a crowd. The more rounded overall look is so much more aerodynamic that the boxy, square minivans of yesteryear, and it looks SO much better.
- The second-row has Magic Slide™ seats that allow different configurations without a lot of effort. If you have car seats in the middle row and need to grant entrance to the third row, you know what a pain that can be. Not anymore! Slide the seat over, hop in the third row and slide it back…or leave it if that works better.
- CabinWatch™ day-and-night video monitor is the most tech savvy invention EVER! Have you ever heard the back seat get quiet and you can’t see what the kiddos are into? Ha! That’s such an awesome feeling, isn’t it? CabinWatch™ allows you to see (on your dashboard display) what’s going on back there.
- CabinTalk™ in-car PA system goes hand-in-hand with CabinWatch™ for checking on and communicating with the kiddos. Everything is handled through the display. The video above gives a fabulous look at all of these features.
- I love the gizmos and gadgets on this Honda Odyssey! Sometimes all the technology, buttons and knobs are just overwhelming, but I have to say that this dashboard is covered with user-friendly options that make the driving/riding experience so much better! You can do anything from the driver’s seat: open all the doors, roll down windows, change the audio settings, open the tail gate, start a movie for the kids, talk on the phone (hands free of course), set GPS and so much more!
- The backup camera is amazing and a fantastic safety tool. I’m so glad to see more vehicles including this amenity.
- The 2018 Honda Odyssey is a dream to drive. It handles the road more like a well-engineered sedan rather than a minivan. The seats are comfortable and traveling is made fun again in the Odyssey!
- A V-6 engine with 280 horsepower is more than enough power to merge successfully onto busy interstates and negotiate the hills and valleys where I call home. Also, the SNOW mode is AWESOME! It handles the down-shifting for you so that you don’t skate along icy roads or spin out in the white stuff. I hate that I got to check it out authentically, but hey, SNOW happens!
- Ok, so this isn’t a feature or amenity, but I love that the Honda Odyssey is made in Alabama!
Super Disney and Honda Odyssey fans will want to inquire about the Disney Minnie Van when visiting the theme park.
Do you drive a minivan? What do you think about the new features on the 2018 Honda Odyssey? Leave us a comment below.
Honda provided this vehicle for this test drive with a tank of gas and insurance. There was not a financial exchange and opinions are my own. Photos and videos are courtesy of Honda.